Now that your Thanksgiving guests have left, it’s time to address the spots, stains, and spills that have been left behind. When addressing spots, stains, and spills, your best defense is a great offense. One of the most important things you can do for your carpet and upholstery is to protect them with a stain guard like Scotchgard. Keep reading below for our best tips to help you conquer carpet and upholstery spills.
Our BEST Spill Cleaning Tips
- Clean spills when they happen – avoid letting them set if at all possible.
- Grab a white cloth and blot or scrape up the spill the best you can.
- Never rub the area. Rubbing can spread the spill, embed the stain into the carpet or upholstery, and damage carpet fibers.
- If using a cleaning solution, before using it, test an inconspicuous area of the carpet or fabric to make sure it won’t cause damage.
- Avoid using over the counter cleaning solutions, most leave a residue behind that tends to attract dirt and oils making the stain worse. Ask your Complete Care Systems technician what solution they recommend for spot cleaning.
- When using a spot cleaner, always work from the outside of the stain toward the inside. This helps stop the stain or spill from growing or spreading.
- Blot up moisture. If you are having difficulty blotting up the moisture, place a thick towel over the area and place a heavy object on top of it to encourage blotting and drying.
- Follow the above steps for pet accidents.
Common Holiday Spills and How To Treat Them:
- Scrape up as much of the gravy as possible
- Blot the rest with cornstarch or baking soda
- After 15 minutes vacuum up the powder
- Treat the area with a carpet cleaning solution
- Scrape up as much of the candy as possible
- Dab on a carpet cleaning solution and blot
- Blot with clear water to remove any sugar residue
- Sugar residue left behind can result in a brown stain
- Using a white cloth, blot up as much as you can
- Follow with a carpet cleaning solution
- Blot up the moisture
- If you are having difficulty blotting up the moisture, place a thick towel over the area and place a heavy object on top of it to encourage blotting and drying.
If you are unable to clean up stains, contact us, we can help! Call us to book an appointment: 727-364-5158